Afrikaans for grades 4-7
This programme is designed to support the Afrikaans syllabus for grades 4-7 and is the result of the ongoing work with Afrikaans language departments who work with us. The initial programme was developed in 2008 with De La Salle Holy Cross College Junior School based on the simple Xcel based version we created for our own kids.
Who is it for
- The programme is categorised into Themes
- Core Themes cover grammar (i.e. Verbs, Collective nouns) and topical subjects (i.e. In the Classroom)
- Collectively, all Themes in the programme have in excess of 2,000+ words, phrases and sentences
- Sentence Themes were added to the 2012 programme to contextualise the learners vocabulary and help them familiarise themselves with the Afrikaans language and its people. Teachers believe that this is the crucial aspects that will contribute greatly to the learners appreciation of the Afrikaans language and, as a result, will contribute to the learner achieving better marks.
- All words, phrases and sentences in the Themes have sound clips to help learners familiarise themselves with the correct pronunciation
- Learners are provided with a Test section which allows them to simulate the testing done in class and exams. Spelling is checked for accuracy as well as specific nuances like Capital letters and special characters. Words that are correct, turn Green, giving learners immediate feedback about their level of comprehension and understanding
- Where the Testing highlights that the learner still needs to Revise the Theme work, learners have the option to go back to that Theme and work through the words, phrases and sentences again
- A Rules section is available for those Themes where teachers have input the appropriate information. Rules detail specific reminders about the grammatical rules as well as background information, including the cultural aspects particular to the people and their customs. The standard 2012 programme includes this functionality for the first time and will be updated with the input from teachers through the year.
- A Songs sections is available for those Themes where teachers have identified a popular song, poem or rhyme that supports the Theme subject. As with Rules, the standard 2012 programme includes this functionality for the first time and will be updated as teachers provide input and the copyright issues are addressed.
Who is it for
- The programme is designed for Grade 4-7 learners
- This programme is also suitable for high schools students who only have an elementary grasp of the Afrikaans language. This specifically applies to foreign students
- The ideal scenario is for students to use the programme as an integral part of the schools language syllabus, as a required resource
- Many parents and learners need help long before the school endorses the programme - pretty much like the need we identified when we developed the first Xcel based version for our kids. Its specifically useful to these learners and generically supports 90%+ of most schools language syllabuses. Learners also benefit from the input of various teachers and language departments we have worked with.
- Also parents. Many parents realise that they missed out and did not have the opportunity to become familiar with the language or the opportunity to really build up a workable vocabulary / word base. This issue is highlighted when they have to interact with other language groups in the workplace or in social circumstances. This programme takes parents into account and includes topical Themes that provide familiarity with everyday situations, i.e. greetings, addressing different people, in the home, etc.