Sepedi Level 1, 2013 (standard)
This programme is designed to support the Sepedi syllabus for grades 4-10 and has been developed with Connie Mogabo, the Sepedi HoD @ St Mary's DSG High School, Pretoria.
Who is it for
- The programme is categorised into Themes
- Core Themes cover various aspects of grammar (i.e. verbs) and topical subjects (i.e.people, places, etc))
- Collectively, all Themes in the programme have approximately 450 words
- Learners are provided with a Test section which allows them to simulate the testing done in class and exams. Spelling is checked for accuracy as well as specific nuances like Capital letters and special characters. Words that are correct, turn Green, giving learners immediate feedback about their level of comprehension and understanding
- Where the Testing highlights that the learner still needs to Revise the Theme work, learners have the option to go back to that Theme and work through the words, phrases and sentences again
- A Rules section is available for those Themes where teachers have input the appropriate information. Rules detail specific reminders about the grammatical rules as well as background information, including the cultural aspects particular to the people and their customs. The standard 2012 programme includes this functionality for the first time and will be updated with the input from teachers through the year.
- A Songs sections is available for those Themes where teachers have identified a popular song, poem or rhyme that supports the Theme subject. As with Rules, the standard 2012 programme includes this functionality for the first time and will be updated as teachers provide input and copyright issues are addressed.
Who is it for
- The programme is designed for Grade 4-7 learners
- The ideal scenario is for students to use the programme as an integral part of the schools language syllabus, as a required resource
- Many parents and learners need help long before the school endorses the programme - pretty much like the need we identified when we developed the first Xcel based version for our kids. Its specifically useful to these learners and provides them with Theme based reference for developing their vocabulary.
- Also parents. Many parents realise that they missed out and did not have the opportunity to become familiar with the language or the opportunity to really build up a workable vocabulary / word base. This issue is highlighted when they have to interact with other language groups in the workplace or in social circumstances. This programme takes parents into account and includes topical Themes that provide familiarity with everyday situations, i.e. greetings, addressing different people, in the home, etc.
- A more recent request has been raised by native sSepedi speakers for the programme to be enriched so that it may preserve the mother tongue as well as the traditions and songs of the Bapedi (Sepedi people). We will strive to see to what extent we can make this a reality